American Museum of Natural History, New York is one of the largest museums in the world and is a must see things in New York. It is situated opposite the Central Park.
There are over 32 million specimens of animals, plants, rocks etc housed in 2 million square feet of space. However all the specimens cannot be displayed at a given time.
The complex is made up of 27 interconnected buildings with 45 exhibition halls. It attracts over 5 million visitors each year.
You actually need more than a day to cover the entire museum.
The museum is made of the following main sections –
- the mammals hall,
- the hall of Asian mammals,
- Birds, Reptiles and Amphibians hall,
- Biodiversity and Environment hall,
- hall of ocean life,
- hall of human origin and culture,
- hall of earth and planetary science,
- hall of fossils, and
- hall of earth and space.