In Kangra District of Himachal Pradesh, 16 kms from Palampur lies Baijnath, a small town famous for its 13th century temple dedicated to Siva also known as Vaidyanath, ‘the Lord of physicians’.
The present day temple was constructed by two local merchants named Ahuka and Manyuka over an existing Shiva temple built earlier by the Kumaon Katyuri king in around 1150 A.D.
According to mythology Shiva and Parvati were married at the confluence of River Gomati and Garur Ganga and the King Katyuri built a temple complex with the idols of Shiva, Ganesh, Parvati, Chandika, Kuber, Surya and Brahma. Parvati’s idol in black stone is in the main temple.
In 1905, there was a major earthquake in Kangra region which also damaged this temple. After the repairs were carried out the temple became a protected monument under the ASI. Since then worship and rituals continue and the hereditary priests continues to get a share of the offerings.
An absolutely worth visiting site if you are in this area.